AKLAN, Philippines – Villagers found the body of a 23-year-old Slovakian woman inside an abandoned hotel on Boracay Island on Wednesday, March 12, raising concerns over safety in one of the country’s top tourist destinations.
Lieutenant Colonel Mar Joseph Ravelo, Malay town police chief, identified the victim as Michaela Mickova, who was initially reported missing by friends a day earlier. They had offered a P50,000-reward for information leading to her whereabouts.
A missing person poster indicated that the Slovakian was last seen by her friends at 1 pm on March 10.
Mickova’s body was found inside a chapel at the abandoned Pearl of the Pacific hotel in Sitio Piaungon, Barangay Balabag.
A man reported the discovery of the body, already in a state of decomposition, after wandering into the area. The victim was found unclothed, lying face up with indications of sexual abuse.
She was sprawled in blood, Ravelo said, adding that investigators were processing pieces of evidence from the crime scene.
The body was taken to a mortuary in mainland Malay for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of the Slovakian’s death.
Police regional director Brigadier General Jack Wanky and Aklan police chief Colonel Arnel Ramos checked the crime scene as investigators reviewed CCTV footage from nearby areas for possible leads.
Boracay, known for its white sand beaches and vibrant nightlife, attracts over a million tourists annually. The murder has sparked concerns over the island’s safety, with business owners and residents worried about its impact on tourism.
The Federation of Women’s Associations in Boracay and Malay (Fewaboma) condemned the killing, describing it as indicative of a worsening trend of violence against women.
The incident seems to normalize sexual assault in Aklan, Fewaboma president Desiree Segovia said in a statement. “We call on the Philippine National Police to ensure justice is served and reaffirm that Boracay remains a safe place for women.”
The killing of the foreigner followed the death of a 14-year-old girl found in a ricefield in Nabas, Aklan, in January. Police said she had been raped. Authorities arrested a suspect in February and filed charges in court.
Local officials have assured visitors that security measures were being reinforced, including increased police patrols and surveillance in tourist areas, to prevent similar incidents from taking place again. – Rappler.com